Wednesday, August 04, 2004

I decided to take my friend Talitha's advice

and attempt some Japanese fashion shopping. Previous posts can attest to the fact that Japanese fashion is an otherworldly beast -- a shining god-thing (or hideous nightmare) made up of straight-off-the-runway and godawful-fads-of-yesteryear from around the globe, smooshed together into something that can exist only while firmly adhered to the earth of this island nation; indeed, I have often thought that the mere attempt to step onto American soil whilst attired in such a combination would short-circuit my brain and render me a fashion vegetable, barely able to blink my eyes for yes or no when presented with ballet flats or spike heels, white eyeliner or black kohl, Kenzo or Yohji Yamamoto.

I decided to take it slow and rather than attack the monster department stores like Tobu in Ikebukuro, I would stroll leisurely through the smaller and more youth-focused Lumine in Tachikawa. What I found was the 80's gone amok -- floors of sleeveless baggys in flourescent stripes, garish metallic shoes of every sort, a shrine on the fourth floor to some guy named Tommy, outrageously priced Gaultier, as well as whole floors dedicated to that ever increasing beacon of Japanese fashion -- the super-tanned, white-eyelined, fake-eyelashed, forever-white-capried and spike-sandaled bad girl. Bad idea, the department store, unless you want the same stuff you can get in the States, don't mind paying more for what you can get in the States, or just want to look 15-22. I actually got really depressed.

I find myself attracted to old-lady fashion. The old ladies here are dope! Everytime I'm stopped by a window of a little shop on the street and go inside, I usually find myself shopping with old ladies. But their stuff looks original and classic, not trendy or gaudy.

I made one purchase, the other day, in Shibuya, at an Indian-inspired shop. A blue skirt, with a varied hem and embroidery around the bottom. Simple. The Japanese love the East Indian does Rastafarian look. There's always usually one in every area, even departo -- Bob Marley on the radio, marijuana leaves everywhere, incense and...saris.

Links