Wednesday, August 04, 2004

crosswalks and clockwork

Crosswalks here use a melody to designate that the time for street-crossing has begun. The melody, were I a nationalist, might incite a patriotic fervor and sense of strong determination. Again, these notes mean that you can cross the street. As I was crossing today and humming along to this tune, it dawned on me: that by simply re-creating this melody, and broadcasting it loudly enough, a person might have the power to over-ride everyone's mind and cause them to begin crossing whatever street is nearest. Perhaps, I mused, Japan has long been one immensely complex piece of clockwork, controlled (likely tonally) by either aliens, robots, or highly evolved humans (perhaps from the future). I tried humming the cross-walk song louder; nothing happened, but this may be explained by my own inability to sufficiently mimic said song vocally.

Links